Saturday, September 13, 2014

Deep Dish Fruit Cobbler (or what to do with those home-canned peaches)

My grandmother's sister, Lois, was the best cook I have ever known.  Don't get me wrong...I come from a long line of women who were masterful in the kitchen.  But, there was something about Aunt Lois...I loved just sitting in her kitchen.  It was always so warm, and it smelled so good!!!!  There was always laughter, too.  Aunt Lois was also one of the funniest people I've ever known.

I have a few of her recipes, some of them are in her handwriting.  Those are very special to me.  This is one of her recipes.  

This is a versatile recipe.  I love to make this with peaches or blackberries, but you can also use cherries, blueberries, apples, or even strawberries.  The fruit can be fresh, frozen, home-canned, or store-bought canned...all are delicious.  If you buy canned, don't get the ones that are labeled as "pie filling."  They have thickeners and other ingredients that you just don't need.  

I've made this recipe for years, and it just never seemed as good as I remembered.  The crust and topping just always seemed...I suppose that flat is the best word.  Something was missing. Thinking maybe that I had the wrong measurements, I changed it up.  That didn't work.  I asked my mom, and she said that I had it written correctly.  

I just couldn't figure it out...until I remembered my heritage.  Looking back through some of those old family recipes, it finally hit me.  In my family, "flour" was always self-rising flour.  Aunt Lois made biscuits every morning for her very large family.  I found out later that her biscuits are actually called "country biscuits," but we just called them biscuits.  

If something called for all-purpose flour, it was referred to in family recipes as "plain" flour.  The same goes for cornmeal.  Don't try to make hot water cornbread with anything but plain flour!!!!!  

Anyway, once I figured that out, my cobblers started turning out much better.  Now, if you don't normally have self-rising flour in your pantry (and I don't either,) not to worry...you can make your own with the following recipe:

  • For every cup of all-purpose flour, whisk in 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Use this exactly the way you would self-rising flour.

Now, on to the cobbler...today I'm using peaches.  When I took the pictures, I was making a double recipe for a huge family dinner.  I'd show you the pan, but it's all gone.  

Deep Dish Fruit Cobbler

2 cups sugar, divided
3/4 cup self-rising flour
3/4 cup milk
4 cups fruit, cut into chunks
1 stick butter

Place the butter in a 2 quart baking dish.  Put the dish in the oven and turn it on to 350 degrees. While the butter is melting, put the fruit in a bowl and add 1 cup of sugar.  Stir to coat and set aside. (If you are using canned fruit, drain off the syrup before adding the sugar.  If you're using your home-canned fruit, be sure to save the syrup for tea!)

Butter in the pan...yes, I know that my pan looks bad.  I've used it A LOT!!!!

Adding the sugar to the peaches

In another bowl, whisk together to remaining sugar, flour, and milk.  Set aside.

When the butter has melted, remove the pan from the oven.  Pour the batter over the butter, then top with the fruit mixture.  Do not stir!  The batter will bake up over the fruit and make a delicious topping!!!!

Pour the batter on top of the melted butter

Add the fruit to the top of the batter

Just before it goes into the oven

Bake for one hour.  Serve hot with vanilla ice cream on top.


Fresh from the oven!  YUMMMMMMM


Thanks, and welcome to my world!






No comments:

Post a Comment