Sunday, September 7, 2014

Home Canned Peaches

There's something magical about a good peach in late June or early July.  When I take a bite of a sweet juicy peach during the heat of the summer, I am immediately transported to my happy place.

I love the smell...I love the colors...I love the fuzz...I love the juice dripping down my arm.  OK, well, maybe I don't love that last part, but I do love peaches.  

Ah, I really do love peaches in the summer.  I am not so crazy, however, about peaches any other time of the year.  When you bite in to something that is more akin to a raw butternut squash than a peach, well...disappointing is really the nicest word I can use.

Enter the humble mason jar...




Aren't they gorgeous???!!!!

I love to can.  This is a relatively new obsession of mine, but I am so glad that I learned this skill.  This summer, I transformed 100 pounds of peaches into these lovely jars of deliciousness.  I also made my favorite peach preserves.  We also had plenty to eat out of hand, and I froze some for ice cream and for smoothies.  I even canned some of the juice that I use as the liquid for our smoothies...or to add to a gallon of sweet tea (YUM)...or to add to a little BBQ sauce...I could go on...

These jars of summer also make great gifts in the winter.

Do you can peaches?  If so, how do you use them?  I'd love to hear!!!!

Thanks, and welcome to my world...




No comments:

Post a Comment