Monday, October 6, 2014

Crockpot BBQ Ranch Chicken Wings

This Pintober project was interesting.  It was one of those things that you think will be easy, turns out wrong, but then you make a couple of changes and it all works out great.

Here's the link to this recipe:

Crockpot BBQ Ranch Chicken Wings

As you can see, there are very few ingredients...the instructions look simple, and the pictures of the end product look fantastic!

Well, chalk this one up to operator error, but I will say that the wings did end up to taste DELICIOUS!  I just went about making them a different way.

Here's the YouTube video on this project:






First of all, my wings weren't completely thawed when I put them in the crockpot.  So, I decided to cook them on low for a while to get them started.  I added about a cup of water to them to help them along.  I left them on low for about an hour and then turned them up to high for two hours.

When I checked them, they still looked a little pink on the inside.  My family was getting hungry, so I was afraid to put them back in the crockpot for another hour, so I removed them to a bowl and put them in the microwave for about 8 minutes.

While they cooked in the microwave, I worked on the sauce.  I was using 2 dozen wings, so I used 2 packages of ranch dressing mix.  I thought that 2 bottles of BBQ sauce would be a bit much.  I had almost half a bottle already open in the fridge, so I used that and another full bottle.  That was plenty.

After the wings were done in the microwave, I dipped them into the sauce and put them on a foil-lined baking sheet that I had sprayed with cooking spray.  I poured the rest of the sauce on top and baked them in a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes.

Let me just say that these were some of the best wings I have ever eaten!  We ate them all!!!!!  The kids had some friends over and I had some other things prepared as well.  All of them told me that the wings were great!

As I was draining the liquid that had cooked out of them from the crockpot, I noticed that it was full of fat.  My theory is that much of the fat cooked out, so maybe they were a little healthier than other wings?  I know that wings are not exactly considered health food, so it made me happy that there was a possibility that they were healthier than normal...baby steps, right?

Another thing that I noticed was that the cleanup was a breeze.  One of the reasons that I don't make wings at home that often is because they are so messy.  Cooking them in the crockpot made the whole process easier.  I may do this all of the time and experiment with different sauces.  I would make sure, though, that they are completely thawed before I start next time.

So, even though this wasn't exactly following the recipe, I'd call this Pintober project a success.



Thanks, and welcome to my world!


<script async src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js"></script>
<!-- BBQ Wings Ad -->
<ins class="adsbygoogle"
     style="display:inline-block;width:300px;height:250px"
     data-ad-client="ca-pub-1516750226443466"
     data-ad-slot="8248463031"></ins>
<script>
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
</script>

No comments:

Post a Comment