Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Regrowing Celery


I love this Pintober project!  I've actually been doing for a while now, and it's been so much fun.  I did this for the first time last spring and kept it going all summer long.  I planted it in the garden, but it didn't make it through the winter.  So this time, I decided to plant them in containers so that I can bring them inside during very cold weather.

I know that you've seen this before.  I have tried regrowing several vegetables, like lettuce, green onions, etc, but this is the one that has been most successful for me.  In fact, regrowing romaine lettuce is actually easier than the celery, but I don't really like the taste of it.  After the first few leaves grow, the lettuce begins to get bitter, in my opinion.

Celery, on the other hand...I LOVE regrowing this stuff!!!!!  It takes a long time, but I think it is well worth it.  When it's regrown, there seem to be more leaves than the ones you get at the store.  That works out well for homemade chicken stock, soups, stews, and good southern DRESSING!

Even though it takes a while, the smaller stalks are still great for using in salads or dipping in ranch! As long as the plant seems healthy, I take a few stalks here and there as it's growing.

Here is the original Pin:  Grow Celery Indoors

Here's my Pin:  Regrowing Celery

Here is my YouTube video on this project:


To regrow your celery, all you do is cut off the bottom and plop it in a cup of water.  Change the water every couple of days and watch the magic!  I usually start seeing leaves poke through the center within one or two days.  After the baby stalks are a few inches tall, just plant it in some dirt and watch it take off.  Generally, I wait a couple of weeks before planting them.

Don't worry if the outer stalks begin to look brown and dried out.  That is normal.  If they look like they are beginning to rot or develop an odor, you probably have too much water in the cup.  Just make sure that you have enough to cover the bottom of the stalk.  Or, you may need to change the water more frequently.

Don't be discouraged if it doesn't grow.  I'm not sure why, maybe the plant is old or something, but sometimes they don't grow...they'll just start rotting in the cup.  If it's not sprouting leaves in the center by Day 4, just toss it in the compost and try again with the next celery that you buy.

I know you've seen on the internet that you'll never have to buy celery again, but it would take A LOT of regrown celery to keep my kids happy!   Keep trying!

Thanks, and welcome to my world!


<script async src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js"></script>
<!-- Regrowing Celery Ad -->
<ins class="adsbygoogle"
     style="display:inline-block;width:336px;height:280px"
     data-ad-client="ca-pub-1516750226443466"
     data-ad-slot="9657817438"></ins>
<script>
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
</script>

No comments:

Post a Comment