Friday, October 24, 2014

The Joys of Being an Early Riser

When I was a child, the one day of the year that I woke early was Christmas.  There was something magical about those early hours.  With the excitement and anticipation of gifts from Santa and the glow of the lights on the tree, it was almost too much for my little soul to handle.

The rest of the year, however, I would definitely not be considered a morning person.  I've never been a light sleeper, so the efforts of others or alarm clocks to try to wake me in the mornings are usually not successful.  As a teenager and young adult, I was always rushing out of the door at the last minute for school or work.  I once even took a second-shift job so that I wouldn't have to get up early.

I would have thought that having children in my home would have made me change my late-sleeping ways, but it really didn't.  I still loved to hit the snooze button even though I knew my stepson had to get to school.  Luckily, he was really good about getting up!

Something changed about 7 or 8 years ago.  I don't know why, but I suddenly began waking up early automatically.  Not only did I start getting up early, but I began to ENJOY getting up early!

Now, I love getting up early!  I have coffee and get my head together before the day begins.  I spend time with my dogs, Teddy and Little Bit.  I think about any tasks or errands that need to be done, and I just enjoy the quiet.  The early morning has become MY time.

I usually get up at least an hour before the rest of the family, but even 15-20 minutes early is sufficient.

What are your thoughts?  Do you enjoy getting up early or do you enjoy sleeping a little later?  I'd love to hear from you!



Thanks, and welcome to my world!



No comments:

Post a Comment