Monday, October 6, 2014

Homemade Sweetened Condensed Milk

When I first saw a Pin for homemade sweetened condensed milk, I got really excited.  In addition to loving this stuff, it's an ingredient in several other Pintober projects I have in mind.  So, I thought I would try it and use it as a base for other things later in the month.

It was very simple to make.  Here's the original Pin:  Homemade Sweetened Condensed Milk

Since I wanted to use it in several applications, I thought that I should double the recipe.  I wanted to use my smaller cast iron pan, but it wouldn't hold 2 quarts of milk.  I know that the original recipe called for a liter of milk, which is a little more than a quart, but I thought that I'd like it to be a little sweeter...so I used a little less.

Actually, when I measured out the milk, I could get a quart and a half into my pan.  So, I used 6 cups of milk and 1 1/2 cups of sugar.  At the end, I used 1 1/2 Tbsp of butter.  

It took a little more than 2 hours to cook, and it was still fairly thin when it was done.  I refrigerated it overnight, and it thickened a little more.  For what I am planning to do with it, the consistency is fine. However, if I were going to use it in other applications, I may have wanted to cooking it a bit longer. Some of the comments on the original Pin suggested adding a little baking soda.  I may try that at some point.

Overall, I am pleased with the result.  It tastes so good...I'll let you know how it works with my other Pintober projects.


Here's the video for my version:







Thanks, and welcome to my world!


<script async src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js"></script>
<!-- Milk Ad -->
<ins class="adsbygoogle"
     style="display:inline-block;width:320px;height:100px"
     data-ad-client="ca-pub-1516750226443466"
     data-ad-slot="6771729834"></ins>
<script>
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
</script>

No comments:

Post a Comment